Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Reactions to our move

Of course we've had many and varied reactions to our announcement of the move in January 2009.

One of the most curious and funny (in my opinion) was the one of my oldest daughter, Nannette Marie.

This conversation came up just after I was discharged from my recent, unexpected, hospital stay.

Goes something like this......

Me: So baby, did I tell you that we are moving?

Her: No mommy, where to? Arizona? Puerto Rico?

Me: No baby, we are moving to Argentina?

Her: WHAT? Did you leave your brains in the hospital bed? Did they also do a lobotomy?

Me: (laughing inside) No sweetie, Horacio and I have been discussing this for a while and the decision has been made. The hospital stay had nothing to do with it.

Her: Mom? You are moving to a 3rd world country, are you insane?

Me: Where do you come up with this assumption? Argentina is NOT a 3rd world country and even if it was; don't you go all the time on mission to what you call 3rd world countries? What makes you think that Argentina is such?

Her: Isn't that in South America?

Me: Hmmmm DUH!

Her: Well, aren't all countries down there considered 3rd world countries?

Me: Thank God I am not paying for you college education because I would "shoot you" right now! And you call yourself a college graduate? Education is not only what they teach you in school. It also comprises what you care to learn on your own. Instead of BSing all day on the net, you should do some searches and learn about Argentina before making such an unjust judgement.

Her: Sorry mom, did not mean to "insult" Argentina.

Me: I know you didn't, but rather than jump to conclusions based on information you have not even verified, I'd do what my grandma told me. If you have nothing good to say about something, better not say anything at all.

Her: You are right mommy. I'm sorry. So mommy, how do we get to see you then?

Me: Well you put that darn passport to good use. Your sisters will do as they choose. I am pretty sure that when you and your sisters visit, you will change your whole idea about Argentina.

Her: So when are you leaving?

Me: Around January 2009.

Her: So soon?

Me: If we could, we would have left already. This country sucks!

Her: (after a minute silence) Well mommy, if you think that is what you and Horacio want, so be it! It may be a fun experience for you and also for us to go visit. Know most of Mexico already and it will be fun going further south.

Me: Good so it is settled? Are you talking to your sisters?

Her: Yes mommy, I'll talk to the girls. Bye mommy, I love you.

Me: I love you too, love you with all I am.

I truly don't think they have really assumed it quite yet. They have some time to adjust. After all, they don't live here with me, they live across the country in Arizona. So we are just moving "a bit further" Je jejejejeje....

N.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nannette!

how exciting! your daughter's not totally off though... Argentina isn't the first world. It's technically a developing country.

But my home, nonetheless. ;) bienvenidooooos!